Pages

Monday 22 June 2009

Strawberries, sock monkeys and selling...

Oh my goodness, what a busy few days. Do you ever have days/weeks like that... when you just don't sit down for a moment, and when you do, someone needs you for something? I am not complaining really, I would much rather be busy and creative.
The weekend started with having my young nephew for the day on Friday.. he was very excited because he was going to spend the weekend with his Daddy camping on Dartmoor. So it was my job to entertain him for the day.. or contain him for the day. Actually he was an absolute delight to have.. very polite and helpful considering he was spending the day with his 'Aunty"!!!. Well what to do??? I gave this lots of thought and decided that as the sun was shining we would go picking strawberries... he was delighted as he had never been strawberry picking before ...
and of course, when he found out his first question was, "Am I allowed to eat them?" Well.... it must be a small boys paradise.. hiding away in a field being able to fill your tummy with the biggest juiciest fruit you can find!! I think a few found their way into my basket, but even more went this way....
Caught in the act!!!! Thankfully he wasn't weighed on the way in!!!
I also had some help from Harriet...
This has to be one of the best places to pick strawberries. It is on a hill overlooking Slapton sands and the nature reserve. You just can't beat it...
So here are the fruits of our labour.. well, of mine and Harriet's anyway!! Just look at all that strawberry deliciousness... I must say that I wasn't exactly and angel myself... I had to try a few... just to make sure... you know!!!!

After the strawberry picking it was off to the beach for fish and chips, a bit of rock climbing, kite flying boat watching....

... and thinking about camping with daddy....
We had a wonderful day together.. the afternoon was spent making some chocolate chip buns and then icing them with lurid blue icing... hopefully not too full of e-numbers or daddy might not get any rest!!!!

Saturday morning was a little less frantic and we had time to wander around the craft fair at Dartmouth .. lots of inspiration and hopefully a contact made to be able to teach me how to make lampwork glass beads.. I have been wanting to try this for so long... I was hoping to have some lessons when I was on holiday in new Zealand earlier this year, but I couldn't manage to fit them in with all the other exciting things I did... maybe I'll tell you about them one day. Anyway, if I do have lessons, I will be sure to let you know... the prospect is really exciting though.
Then it was home to deal with all those strawberries... I had already decided to make some jam.. this was so easy and is so delicious.. wish I could share it with you. Whilst looking through my Good Food magazines I found a gorgeous recipe for strawberry rocky road ice cream... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! This again was fairly easy.. bit messy when I was whisking up the cream and chopped up strawberries.. not sure who/what was most splattered.. me or the kitchen!! hey ho.. it was fun though. The only downside was that I don't have an ice cream maker... something I would dearly love, but totally extravagant, so it will have to wait... which meant that I had to remember to take the ice cream out of the freezer every hour for 6 hours to stir it! Then it was time to layer up the ice cream with mini marshmallows and crushed shortbread biscuit. I can tell you.. it's scrumptious!...
Meanwhile, Rosie was planning to go to her friends pyjama party in the evening and needed a birthday present... so, someone *whistle, whistle*, suggested having a go at making a sock monkey... that was how I found myself stirring ice cream, potting plants and sewing arms to bodies of sock monkeys.. good job we women can multi task!!!. Anyway... look at this gorgeous creature.. isn't she cute? I am happy to announce that she was loved instantly and now all her friends want one too.. and so does Harriet!!!
Look who's proud of her hard work...
... and here she is ready for bed and for partying!!! Can you tell she's feeling rather embarrassed??? What's more, I made her walk through the village like that too... what a mean mummy!!!
Now for some really exciting news.. after much thought and deliberation and lots of great advice form you lovely bloggy people, I have opened my first Etsy shop and it can be found here... www.yvonnetemple.etsy.com
I have spent hours today setting it all up and have managed to put 3 items up for sale.. it's not as many as I would have liked but I will steadily add things as this week goes by.. here is what is there already...
Green Lariat necklace...
Pink, green and orange charm bracelet..
Summer time beady necklace...

Please take a look and let me know what you think.. send all your friends and family for a visit too... especially if you are wanting an unique gift for your birthday, or anniversary.. or just because you are loved!!!
Thanks for popping by.. I do so love reading all your comments, so please let me know you have dropped in for a peek xxxx


7 comments:

Serenata said...

LOL, Love the sock monkey - your poor daughter though, does look a tad embarrassed.

Good luck with your Etsy endeavour - the jewellery is lovely

Serenata said...

Yes it is Laura Ashley fabric - both pieces are. :-)

Esther said...

grin we went spur of the moment strawberry picking with our two a week ago and the smallest(15 months)looked like he's stepped out of a horror movie, there was juice everywhere and he was wearing white! There is a picture on my food blog.

KC'sCourt! said...

They were the best the Strawberry field near Slapton. Good luck with your shop.
Julie xxxxxxxx

Helen said...

Gosh look at you with an Etsy shop already . . . . . you don't hang around do you!!? Good luck
Love Helen

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous weekend!

I am SOOO jealous of the strawberry picking, haven't done that for YEARS! I must have been about 5, so AAAAGES ago lol.

Beautiful pictures, loving the sock money! Fantastic jewellery too! Don't know how you managed to fit it all in!

Rose XXX

Karoline said...

Love the sock monkey, the ice cream sounds lucious. Good luck with the Esty shop